Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Tortilla!


Tortilla Stack
Stack of Tortilla

Folded Tortilla
Folded Tortilla
I think I have found it, a tortilla recipe.  It isn't perfect, no where the size of store bought and they do look a bit different but it is a start.  Now it is just a matter of adjusting and wiggling.  The Cook would probably have an easier time getting the dough rolled out to bigger sizes, he is better at that.  Alas, he is not here at the moment so I made do.

The recipe calls to cook the rounds on medium heat and I did, I feel that this may have been a bit to high.  Next time I think I will be cooking it on a medium-low heat, at about 2 or 3.  This should give it more time to cook without crisping, we do not want crisping.  That happened to the first one.
I found on the food network and would have just linked to it but I feel that the directions are written poorly there.  Now here it is:

Flour Tortilla

by Sheena Badger-James
Keywords: bake bread
Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) shortening
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup water
Instructions
  1. In a bowl mix flour, salt, and shortening until crumbly. I used butter instead and turned out fine, I am curious how bacon drippings will turn out.
  2. Gradually add in the warm water until you get a nice ball of dough. I didn't even use all the water for this. Kneed until smooth.
  3. Place your dough on your working surface, cover, and let rest for at least 15 minutes.
  4. Divide your dough into even sections. How many sections depends on how large you want your tortillas. I had about 8 sections that came out to about 8 inch rounds, though they could possibly have gotten bigger if I had a press. 8 to 12 is a good number.
  5. Roll out each section into a flat thin, really thin, rounds
  6. To cook, preheat your skillet on medium (or lower). Cook the tortillas one at a time, flipping to keep from scorching. The cook time for each round should be 30 secs to a minute.
  7. Enjoy!


Powered by Recipage

No comments:

Post a Comment